Married to Medicine

Married to Medicine

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Matthew Lately.

Back in February, I started this blog post and made a list of five things Matthew was up to that I never wanted to forget.  Here I sit four months later... guess I have a lot of catching up to do!

The Original 5, February of 2012 (16 months)

(1) When Mark picked him up and patted him on the back, reaching around to pat Mark on the back (16 months).  He now (22 months) often pats us our backs as we hold him ... this afternoon he woke Mark up by caressing his back!

(2) Two times recently where he's FINALLY been willing to snuggle in bed with me.  He's one independent little man!

(3) Taking him out to brunch this morning with a Groupon, and he behaved through the entire meal, sitting at the table (17 months).

(4) Grabbing dinner downtown with Mark last night (16 months) before his shift started, and he behaved the entire time ONLY after we got him a big-person chair instead of the high chair.  Apparently high chairs are beneath his dignity.

(5) When he first discovered Thomas the Train and for over three days did not let it out of his grasp - meal time, bath time, night time, all included (16 months).

Matthew as of June 2012 (1.75 years)

Oh Matthew, how you have grown and changed!  You are transitioning from "baby" to "boy" and it is absolutely delightful.  You're still a man of few words and your GrandPa-pa has dubbed you the "cute mute."  But you and I have entire conversations, because I know what you're trying to say and so I respond at length.  (This might be why you don't have many words... your Da-da is convinced that you really believe you are talking with your "Da-da-da-DA-da-da, Da-DA-DA-DA-da-da!" type exclamations).

What words *do* you have?  You have "Mama" and once had "Nonna" but only if you're frustrated.  I've had a few "Mo-MMY!!!!!"'s when I'm in the shower, but even though these were a couple of months ago you still don't address me as anything in particular.  Your complete obsession with dandelions has led you to be fond of saying "It boke" when something breaks (usually a dandelion).  Over the past few days you've finally started shaking your head and saying "NaNaNaNa" for "No" - this is a new favorite.  A yard worker was declared "Tee guy" ("tree guy") a time or two.  The other day when confronted with some letters you pointed at the T and said "T."  Not sure whether that was a coincidence but you definitely know your colors.

You continue to be a sweet, sweet boy and you now love to snuggle with me and your blankie before and after every nap or night time sleep.  You still LOVE books and I once read you books for over 40 minutes, until finally *I* had to stop.  Your current favorites are "Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site," "Time For Bed," and "You Are Special."  Once when I got to the part of "Time For Bed" that says "It's time for bed little bee, little bee; yes I love you and you love me!" you turned excitedly and pointed at me and you, because you knew it applied to us.

You remain a big sleeper and will nap 2-4 hours a day.  In fact, once it gets to be around noon, watch out!  You *need* your sleep.  Due in part to this, the most trouble you ever give me is when I try to take you somewhere really fun and you do not want to leave.  Honey, even your Daddy admits:  You've got his stubborn streak (it's served him well in many ways though).  At the museums or today at the beach, oh my.  It's getting harder as I get more and more pregnant with your next sibling.  And after I explained it to you just twice, you'll point at my belly if I ask you where "Mommy's baby is."  (Of course, you're also my baby - and once you also pointed to yourself).

Matthew as of July 2012

And yet another month later, I still haven't finished and published this post.  I must add a few notes about this weekend and wrap it up.

We had a wonderful time as family picking blueberries at Parlee Farm on Saturday.  Below are a few great pics we took.  Then today (Sunday) you had a few new and exciting words.  Until now your words have been very sporadic other than the reliable "Nooooo," "Uh-Oh!" and "It bwoke."  Then this morning you pointed to a blue dinosaur at the park and you clearly said "Blow."  (I can't say you clearly said blue, but you did clearly say "blow").  The sweetest though was tonight as we sat down for dinner with Dada.  All on your own and without any prompting you folded your hands and your "Dada" and I both heard a little "DearJeshush..."  You've melted our hearts, Matthew.  We could not possibly enjoy raising you more.

"Come on, guys, hop in!  I'm taking us blueberry picking at Parlee Farm!"
Checking out the loot.
Couldn't love you more.
Mommy & Matthew
From one baby to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment